Goshen County Sheriff




Welcome to the Goshen County Sheriff's Department website. This website provides you, the citizen, with valuable information related to law enforcement services for Goshen County, Wyoming. You can also contact us for questions, comments, or feedback under the ABOUT tab.

VIN Inspections


Vehicles containing titles from outside the State of Wyoming, require a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) prior to registering the vehicle with a county clerk.  The VIN must be verified by any law enforcement officer before registering it. The Sheriff's Department can perform the VIN inspection at our agency 24 hours a day or for vehicles that are not able to be operated legally on a street or highway, can do the inspection where the vehicle is located.  Call 307-532-4026 to schedule a VIN Inspection.

The Goshen County Clerk's Office is open from 7:00 a.m to 4 p.m. and will assess a $10.00 inspection fee.


Salvage vehicle means any motor vehicle which has been wrecked, destroyed or damaged to the extent that it is declared a total loss by the insurance company or; in the event an insurance company is not involved in the settlement of the claim, sustains damage in an amount exceeding 75% of its actual retail cash value.

The owner or insurance company shall apply to the County Clerk's office for a certificate of title branded "Salvage."

This requirement does not apply to vehicles titled in Wyoming with more than 8 years of service or commercial vehicles.

Motor Vehicles that come into Wyoming with an out of state salvage title, must obtain a Wyoming salvage title and apply to the Wyoming Department of Transportation for a Rebuilt Salvage Decal prior to registering the vehicle.

When selling a vehicle with a title that contains a brand, the seller is required to disclose the brand to the buyer on a Branded Title Disclosure Statement.


State assigned vehicle identification numbers are issued to homemade or rebuilt vehicles, which do not have a vehicle identification number and to vehicles which have more than one vehicle identification number.

An owner of a vehicle who replaces any part of the vehicle on which the vehicle identification number appears or who incorporates a part containing the vehicle identification number into another vehicle shall apply to the Department of Transportation for a special vehicle identification number.

A Wyoming VIN can only be issued to Wyoming residents.

A VIN will not be issued to trailers with an unladen weight of less than 1000 lbs. unless it is a camper trailer.

The Department shall determine that the applicant for the number is the lawful owner of the vehicle. The vehicle may require a vehicle identification number inspection to accompany the application. A Wyoming Law Enforcement Officer must perform the inspection.