Goshen County Sheriff




Welcome to the Goshen County Sheriff's Department website. This website provides you, the citizen, with valuable information related to law enforcement services for Goshen County, Wyoming. You can also contact us for questions, comments, or feedback under the ABOUT tab.


Where is the Sheriff’s Department located and how do I get there?

The Goshen County Sheriff's Department and Detention Center are located at 2120 East B Street in Torrington, Wyoming.

What is bond/bail?

Bond and bail are synonomous and both are designed to ensure that a prisoner appears in court pending the disposition of a criminal charge. Providing that a prisoner return to court and satisfies all the conditions required of the bond, the bond is generally returned back to the individual who posted it.

An Own Recognizance or "OR" bond is provided by the court to individuals who the court believes will return back before the court based on their merit.

A cash bond is provided by the court to individuals who have a serious offense and whose reputation requires the deposit of cash to ensure the prisoner returns to court.

A surety bond is a third party agreement, generally issued by an insurance or "bonding" company that provides that the prisoner post cash or other surety to the bonding company and, in turn, the insurance company provides a surety bond to the court.


Where do I post bond for a prisoner?

Bond must be posted to the court of jurisdiction during regular business hours.

After hours/holidays/weekends:
Torrington Municipal Court bonds can be paid to the Police Department located at 436 East 22nd Ave. in Torrington.

Circuit Court and District Court bonds may be posted at the Goshen County Detention Center located at 2120 East B Street in Torrington.


Where can I pay a fine for a citation?

Fines for citations are paid directly to the court of jurisdiction.

Torrington Municipal Court - 2042 East A Street, Torrington
Goshen County Circuit Court - 2025 East A Street, Torrington


What forms of payment do you accept for bond?

Unless otherwise provided for by the court, all bonds must be paid with cash.


Can I leave a prisoner a message?

The Goshen County Detention Center does not take or forward messages for prisoners unless it is a verifiable death or birth. In this case, you should ask to speak with the shift commander on-duty and they will address your request.

Messages from attorneys are forwarded to prisoners 24 hours/day.


What items can I bring to the jail for a prisoner?

Visitors may bring in the following items:  Stamps, money, or formal dress clothing for a jury trial and only by order of the courts.


Can I deposit money in a prisoner’s commissary account?

Yes. Cash money or money orders can be deposited on a prisoner's commissary account


What is commissary?

Commissary permits prisoners to purchase food, hygiene and other needed items such as stamps, paper, envelopes, calling cards and clothing.


What is the mailing address for a prisoner? How must I address the envelope?

All mail addressed to prisoners should be addressed:
Prisoner "Name"
c/o Goshen County Detention Center
2120 East B Street
Torrington, WY 82240

Mail improperly formatted may be rejected and will be returned to the sender.


A prisoner is trying to call me and cannot connect. Who do I speak to so that I can resolve this issue?

Please contact Central Control for help with phone system at 307.532.5917


How do I find out what crime(s) a prisoner is charged with?

Any crimes a prisoner has been charged with can be access by viewing the "Inmate Listing" section of this website and then selecting the prisoners name. Click on "Details" and it will then display the charges filed against the prisoner.

Some charges are filed post-arrest by the County Attorney's Office and these charges do not reflect on the prisoner's information page until formally arrainged in court.

In addition, you can contact the County Attorney's Office at 307-532-4223 or the court of jurisdiction.


How do I find out the release date of a prisoner?

You can find out the release date of a prisoner by calling the detention center at 307-532-5917.


If I am a victim of a crime, will I be notified when the prisoner is released?

Yes. Pursuant to state statute you are required to be notified prior to the release of the offender. Notifications can be made by telephone, mail, cell phone or email.

For additional information, contact the Goshen County Victim's Assistance Office at 307-532-4428.


What is Circuit Court?

The Circuit Court is a limited jurisdiction court, which operates in all 23 counties. It hears all misdemeanor criminal cases and smaller civil cases. Judges are full time and they must be lawyers.

The geographic boundaries of the circuit courts are the same as the nine judicial districts for the district courts. There are circuit courts in all 23 counties. The civil jurisdiction of the circuit courts covers cases in which the damages or recovery sought does not exceed $7,000. Circuit courts also hear family violence cases. The criminal jurisdiction includes all misdemeanors. The circuit court may also have the jurisdiction of a municipal court over ordinance violations if a municipality requests and if the Supreme Court consents to such a consolidation of courts. Finally, the circuit court may set bail for a person accused of a crime, and it conducts preliminary hearings in felony cases.

Circuit court judges are appointed by the Governor in the same manner as Supreme Court justices and district judges. They serve four-year terms. They must be attorneys admitted to the Wyoming State Bar, a qualified elector of the state, and their judicial positions are full time. A circuit court judge may submit names to the county commissioners for the appointment of magistrates to assist the judge. In those counties that do not have a residential circuit judge, full-time magistrates are appointed. There are full-time magistrates in Big Horn, Johnson, Niobrara, Platte, Washakie, and Weston counties. Some circuit court magistrates are considered to be part-time and are not required to be law trained, but if they are law-trained, they may conduct a private practice of law. A lay magistrate's authority is limited by statute, but a law-trained magistrate may perform all the duties of the circuit judge. Lay magistrates are primarily located in remote areas of our sparsely populated state.


What is District Court?

The District Court is the trial court of general jurisdiction. A district court exists in all 23 counties organized into nine judicial districts. Felony criminal cases, large civil cases, and juvenile and probate matters are decided in the district court.

The district courts are the trial courts of general jurisdiction in the state. The district judges preside over felony criminal and civil cases as well as the juvenile and probate matters. They also hear appeals from lower court decisions. The jurisdiction of the district courts is unlimited except for small claims cases and misdemeanors, which go to the circuit courts. As a result, the work of the district courts includes the most serious cases and controversies in the state.

There are 21 district judges in the state organized into nine judicial districts. District court is held in each county seat so that the judges must regularly travel to all counties within their district to hear the cases that arise there. In addition, district judges travel to other districts when necessary to assist another judge with the workload of the district.

District judges are chosen like justices of the Supreme Court. They serve six-year terms. The Governor appoints a judge from a list of three qualified persons submitted by the Judicial Nominating Commission, and the provisions for retention are the same as for Supreme Court justices. A district judge must be an attorney at least 28 years old who is a United States citizen and a resident of Wyoming for at least two years. Like Supreme Court justices, district judges must retire at the age of 70.

Each district judge hires a court reporter. The primary duties of the reporter are to keep a verbatim record of court proceedings and to prepare a written transcript of proceedings when requested. Transcripts are often necessary for appeals or some further legal action in a case. A court reporter, therefore, must always be present at trials and certain other important court proceedings. The court reporter may also serve as the district judge's assistant in administrative and other office duties.

The clerk of district court is the record keeper of the court. Each county maintains a clerk of court's office for the district court. The clerk maintains case files, which include all the written records of a case-complaint, answers, pleadings, orders, judgment, and written opinion, if any. In addition, the clerk keeps a docket showing all cases filed and decided in the court, receives and transmits all fees and monies deposited with the court, and manages the calling and initial examination of jurors for the court. The clerk is an elected official of the county.

Some district courts have full-time or part-time law clerks. Like the Supreme Court staff attorneys, the law clerks assist the judges in legal research and help with other duties the district judges may assign to them.


How long do you hold personal property of a prisoner who has been released?

Unless prior arrangements are made, all prisoner property will be held for a period not to exceed 10 days. Any property not collected prior to that time will be destroyed.


What is the procedure for retrieving inmate property?

Any prisoner property left for release may be collected by coming to the Goshen County Detention Center located at 2120 East B Street in Torrington, WY. Prior to releasing the property, a Release must be signed by both the prisoner and the party to whom the property is being released.


I need a Notary. Do you have one?

Yes. Notaries are avaiable 24 hours/day.


I have civil papers that need served on a party. How?

You may have civil papers served on a party by contacting the Sheriff's Department at 307-532-4026 and speak with Gayle Ludens. There is a fee for civil process service, $35.00.


How much does it cost to have civil papers served?

Pursuant to state statute, $35.00.


I need fingerprinted for my job/application. How do I get fingerprinted and what does it cost?

There is a $5.00 charge for fingerprinting and you can be fingerprinted 24 hours/day, 7 days a week. Stop by the detention center for this service.




I need fingerprinted for my job/application. Does you agency stock the fingerprint cards or do I need to supply my own?

Yes. Any type of fingerprint style card you need, the detention center stocks it.


I need a copy of my criminal history. How do I get this and what is the fee?

You can request a copy of your local criminal history by contacting our agency at 307-532-4026. There is a $10.00 fee for this. Any criminal history records beyond this jurisdiciton must be obtained directly from that jurisdiction or by contacting the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation at 307-777-7181.


I need security for a special event. How do I get this and what are the fees?

You can get security for special events by contacting the Sheriff's Department at 307-532-4026. There is a fee of $30.00/hr/deputy.


Where do I get a driver's license?

WYDOT's Driver Services Program administers and maintains Wyoming's records system for testing, issuing and processing all driver licenses and identification cards, from offices in 29 locations around the state. The office in Goshen County is located at 2948 West C Street in Torrington.

Driver Services also maintain driver history records, including convictions for motor vehicle offenses and crashes, and it administers the process of withdrawing and reinstating driving privileges.


Can the jail take bond for warrants originating out of state?

No. Pursuant to state statute and Wyoming Rules of Criminal Procedure, only bonds set by state courts can be accepted.


Can I pay bond for Torrington Municipal Court at the jail?

No. All municipal bonds must be paid directly to the City of Torrington. This can be done 24 hours/day at City Court or the Torrington Police Department located at 2042 East A Street. You can reach City Court at 532-3966 or the police department at 532-7001. If you are paying a municipal bond for a prisoner so that the prisoner can be released, you must bring a copy of the receipt for bond to the jail before the prisoner can be released.


What form do I need if I have been involved in a traffic crash/accident?

Owner Operator's Traffic Crash Report


end faq